General Tips for Audience Participants
Basic Session Structure:
- 10 minutes before the Session: The host will start the designated WebEx meeting.
- 2 minutes before the Session: The host will start the recording.
- 1 minute before the Session: The Session Chair introduces the session.
- Beginning of the Session: The Session Chair will introduce the presenters.
- A live Q&A Session will follow each talk, moderated by the Session Chair:
- Participants will be muted and they will need submit questions during the presentation (aka, before the Q&A Session).
- The Session Chair will select and ask the questions during the Q&A session. We understand that there maybe not time to ask all the questions. The Chair will make sure to ask complementary questions and hopefully according to the time they were first submitted.
- The Chair will have the ability to unmute participants if needed to elaborate on their questions.
Initial WebEx setup:
Please download and install WebEx in advance.
Note: It is recommended to install WebEx client for all operating systems instead of using a browser version. This would help avoid any issues that might be caused because of your browser.
How to join the Session:
- You will be provided, via your email address with which you registered, with the required credentials to join the tutorials the day before the tutorials begin.
- You can join a WebEx session by clicking on the link in the email to join the meeting or typing in the meeting id in the landing page of your WebEx desktop application:
- If you are joining the Session before the host has started the meeting, please wait in the lobby until the host starts the Session.
During the Session:
- Your microphone will be muted upon entry to the tutorial. The Session Chair has the ability to unmute your phone if needed. In case you would like to ask any questions please read the instructions below.
- You can join the discussion with other attendees by sending messages to “All Participants”.
- You are welcome to use private chat to direct questions to the Sessional Chair (NAME: Chair *).
- You do not need to announce yourself arriving or leaving a Session.
- As organizers, we would like to ensure a smooth and productive virtual conference. Following the presentations, there is a short Q&A session.
- We request participants to use Q&A panel on the side-panel on the right of the WebEx window. If not shown, one can click on the icon shown below to enable the Q&A panel.
- You can post your questions in the Q&A window anytime during the Session.
- At the end of the presentation, the Session Chair will select and ask the presenter to answer some of the questions in sequence they were submitted and within the allotted Q&A period.
- The Session Chair will try to cover as many questions as possible depending on the allotted time. In case some of the questions have not been answered, we will capture the questions and respond back via email.
- Each Session will have a host, a Session Chair, presenter(s) and participants.
- Host: will be the user with a special icon by the side of the profile. This person facilitates the use of the technology and could be the same person as the Sessional Chair in some Sessions. (NAME: Host * or Chair *).
- Sessional Chair – This person is present to coordinate the Session and manage Q&A. (NAME: Chair *).
- For a stable connection to the meeting, please check: Webex Best Pratices.